3 Graduate Credits through Colorado State University - Pueblo
Instructor: Coach Shawn Hair
This course explores what mental toughness entails to young minds and why it matters. Exploration of how to model going beyond resilience into being a durable human and thrive in this digital age. This course will ask participants to analyze their current classroom of students and determine which students are gritty and which are not. Different case scenarios whereby passion and perseverance versus talent relative to achievement will be highlighted. Participants will explore ways to teach GRIT in their classes and educational environment through the creation of classroom activities. Learn techniques to demand more of yourself than was thought possible and give students those tools to believe every dream they imagine, everything that is heard and felt in your sleep is not a fantasy, that’s deep instinct and how to tap into that RELENTLESS potential!
Required Text(s) and Other Materials:
These texts are OPTIONAL
Instructor will also provide selected handouts with relevant information.
Angela Duckworth. Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance. New York, NY: Scribner, 2016, 352 pages
Selections will be also be provided from the following:
Grover, T., & Wenk, S. L. (2014). Relentless: From Good to Great to Unstoppable. New York: Scribner.
Madden, J. J. (2016). How To Be a Durable Human: Revive and Thrive in the Digital Age Through the Power of Self-Design. Austral Arc, LLC.
Brewer, H. (2019). Relentless: Changing Lives by Disrupting the Educational Norm. Dave Burgess Consulting, Incorporated.
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
Develop an awareness and understanding of Grit as it relates to fulfilling one's’ potential and student achievement
· Apply Grit strategies and practices that foster student achievement
· Anticipate potential failures with students and create a plan for changes to be adopted in accordance with skill and overcoming challenges
· Create activities that incorporate highly dynamic instructional techniques into the classroom
· Create lessons and activities that will promote interactive learning
· Utilize techniques and standards to create, plan, and design task cards, classroom activities and bell ringers to that meet the objectives of GRIT education
RELENTLESS: Cultivating Grit and Consistency of Effort
Once registration is complete, you will receive a welcome letter from the instructor within 48 hours with access codes and instructions for the course. If you do NOT hear from the instructor, please email firstname.lastname@example.org